History of the Lockport Alliance Church

The Christian and Missionary Alliance, founded in 1887, had a vision for evangelism through church growth. Dr. Albert B. Simpson, the founder, believed that the gospel of Jesus Christ should be presented to every person throughout the world.

This local ministry began in 1939 when two Christian workers, Mrs. E.W. Miller and Miss Dorothy Morrow, were sent by the District to open a church at Lockport. For approximately six months, beginning in the fall of 1939, they rented a small brick building at 301 Walnut Street. Coming to Lockport with a burden that God had given them, they visited and prayed while they began to build the nucleus of a church through a Sunday School ministry. The classes were held in the front part of the building with a few hard benches and a piano. Behind a curtain in the back, the two women lived, using only a couple of folding cots and a hot plate. Soon the building on Walnut was outgrown, leading to the rental of the old Calvary Presbyterian Church on South Street in October 1940. The church was officially organized on December 10, 1940, with 17 charter members.

During the late 1950’s, a plot of 3½ acres was purchased at the corner of East High Street and Davison Road. Plans were begun for the erection of a new church building. The ground-breaking ceremony was held on April 12, 1959. Work progressed with the men and women of the church doing the labor with the exception of the masonry. They worked hard both in building and in ministry, and God honored their efforts with increased ministry to people, along with a new building. The first worship service was held on March 19, 1961, and it was formally dedicated a few weeks later on May 7. During the 1990’s, another major building campaign was initiated and completed. The new addition, dedicated in February 1996 includes the current sanctuary with seating for about 400, the spacious lobby area with a Welcome Center, and two large nursery rooms.

Rev. Kevin Robbins was called as the church’s seventh pastor in August, 1998. Pastor Kevin, his wife Laura and their three girls Margaret, Mary Rachel and Anna moved to Lockport from Brunswick, Maryland and began their ministry on September 13, 1998. He continues to serve the church as our Senior Pastor.

“Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others,
faithfully administering God’s grace in its various forms.”
1 Peter 4:10